The Grove Campus caters for Infant and Foundation Stage children and was formerly The Grove Infant School before electing to join the Academy.
At Grove Campus children of Nursery and Reception age follow the Early Years Foundation Curriculum together under the guidance of a mixture of highly trained teaching and pre-school staff.
With such a firm foundation to their educational life, children move into year 1 well prepared for the key stage 1 curriculum.
For parents who need care for their children outside school hours, we have the ‘Island Kids club’ (catering for ages 3 to 11 from anywhere on Portland) on the premises which runs from 7.30-9.00am and 3.00-6.00pm, as well as in the school holidays.
We work very closely with our local community and believe that we should bring the community into school and take the school into the community. Our community activities include:
- We have our own allotment in the YOI gardens which we work in alongside members of the community and other schools
- We go carol singing to local Day Care Homes and in Brewers Quay in Weymouth
- We have a Grandparents Day when we invite our grandparents and older members of the community in to see what we do but, also, to share their experiences with us
- We invite parents onto the campus to share their experiences about their jobs with us. Local members of the community come in to hear us reading We have our Harvest, Christmas and Easter Services in the local church
- We have our own minibus and use it regularly to visit places in our local community
- We have a good relationship with the YOI – teachers have visited their mosque and chidren have visited their recycling centre. We have an annual May Day celebration with May Pole dancing – to which the whole community is invited.
- Our club for 3 to 11 year olds offers fun and games in a safe learning environment.
- As the Grove Infant School we were awarded outstanding by Ofsted.